Exercise





I just recently found these 2 pictures. When I read Arnie´s article Beginnings about many of my idols, a while back I got to look around in my computer after old pictures. I realised that to find the kind of really old stuff, I was looking for, I had to go outside the computer. That was when I found my old portfolio with illustrations from when I was 16 to 18 year old. And that was when I found this old cover of a ranger. Back then I didn’t have a computer and never new about the internet, so there is a reason why I did not have scans of anything on my computer. The ranger was for an underground Role-playing magazine called Saga published in a couple of hundred copies in Denmark. Nevertheless it was my first cover being published and I remember feeling like the King of the World, the day I got it in the mailbox ( the old kind of mailbox and not the digital ones ). Being 16 and having an illustration on a cover of anything, blows fire to a smouldering God complex. I was really believing in my own abilities, confident way above my actual skills, but I think the premature success made me work so much harder than I might have. One thing it taught me was that my illustrations needed a finish. They needed to look like real illustrations. I was forced by circumstances to do final illustrations and not just pencil sketches. Someone was waiting for my petty black and white illustrations and I took them very seriously. Staying up on school nights to finished them, and my parents let me.



Thinking back I am glad that I was dragged out of the amateurish closet so early and pushed into the life of a pro. When I finally got to do some real professional work as 18 I was already a seasoned veteran.



Well; enough with the padding myself on the shoulders. When looking through my computer for a newer version of a guy in a forest to put next to the old cover, I found the Borderland Ranger, a Magic card illustration. I am almost embarrassed at how little my choice of motif has changed the last 20 years. Somehow it seemed that I have settled nice and cosy into my niche. Or, I simple do not have anything more to offer than mean looking guys and weapons. The two illustrations is either a proof of simplemindness or of focus or a mix between the two… you decide.



One more thing. It shows how much you can improve you skills in 20 years. It has always been I a kind of satisfying thought to me, that in drawing you can always improve your skills through hard work and lots of lots of drawing…it doesn’t necessarily takes a gift from above or a born talent - though they would be very handy and nice to have. It needs an unbelievable amount of practise, focus and an open mind.
You have read this article with the title Exercise. You can bookmark this page URL http://teamcolors.blogspot.com/2011/06/exercise.html. Thanks!
Write by: RC - Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Comments "Exercise"

Post a Comment